Saturday, August 20, 2016

20 August 2016 - Post Poland and Baltic States

Was writing down my thoughts on the flight from Tallinn to Munich -

This marks the end of my trip with Wenyun. Krakow, Warsaw, Vilnius, Riga and Tallinn - the Baltic States or North Europe (they don't call the baltic states east europe. I wonder)? The trip has been amazing and enriching so far and I think I enjoyed myself more than I expected. A lot more insights into this part of the world definitely and also sort of a self-discovery, especially with the company of Wenyun. Thanks to him that I don't have to worry about my luggage and finding directions. We definitely have different interests and priorities but I'm glad to have his company for the past > 2 weeks. Long bus rides are not fun and they are uncomfortable; I felt so terrible during and after the 8hr ride from Warsaw to Vilnius. We discovered that Lux Express Special buses are by far the most comfortable and they have plenty of leg room. I like the food in these cities eg. beetroot soup, cabbage/mushroom dumplings with cream (periogi) in Poland; potatoes and bread in the Baltic States; the beers are awesome too and just judging them by the price, they are way way much affordable compared to Singapore's. I like it that these cities have a lot of history behind them and the people or their grandfather or grandmother have stories to tell and these show in their architecture, attitude towards life and culture. I learn not to be offended if they always appear stern and do not smile (because of the perpetual cold) and that it's okay. The bog day trip two days ago left a deep impression on me. I like the guide (Chris, from traveller.ee) and his dark humour. So far the local guides we came across had dark humour, maybe it reflects their dark past?

Happy re-independence day to Estonia! To 25 years of your re-independence!

Krakow Old Town

Warsaw Old Town

View of Vilnius Old Town

Vilnius Curonian Spit

Riga art nouveau architecture

Lithuania Siauliai Hill of Crosses

Tallinn near Lahemma National Park

Tallinn Lahemma National Park Viru Bog

No comments:

Post a Comment